Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pie Pwnage

My mother had crazy amounts of work done on her jaw today, more than anticipated for sure.
The dentist told her that she's going to have to baby it for the next three weeks.
So, I thought i'd get her started on the right foot by making her some food she could enjoy without doing damage to her mouth.

I made green bean casserole for tonight, and I made tons of mac and cheese for tomorrow so she doesn't have to think about anything. Then I thought 'hey, as long as I'm on a roll, I'll try my hand at pie making.' Now, I'd like to think that i'm very good at baking, but pies were never some where I ventured. This isn't because I dislike them or anything, it's because my mom OWNS everyone at pie making. Her pumpkin pie is absolutely delicious, and always gorgeous. However, with a sore mouth, I'm sure pumpkin pie sounds really good so I went forward.

First off, I had no idea a pumpkin pie took so long to make. Second, I had no idea that you needed to cover your crust about fifteen minutes in. That's strange to me, but I don't argue with time tested truth. Around ten minutes or so ago, my pie came out of the oven. I took the tin foil off the edges, did the whole knife/toothpick test, and then put it on a wire rack as instructed. I had my mom come look at it and she said that it was really nice,and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I was like holy crap... The mother of all pie makers just said my pie was good! I was so happy. When I do something, I like to get it right. Plus, my mom is not one to lie about cooking skills [she prefers constructive criticism, as do I], so I knew she meant it!

I'm sorry if that was boring, but personally, it made me wicked happy. I love doing nice things for people, but I love it even more when they turn out just the way I had hoped!

2 comments:

MemphisKell said...

HI Sami, when I first read your pie post I was looking at the screen at a weird angle so I thought it said, "the dentist said my mom is going to have a baby." I backed up and read it again. I hope she's feeling well. I admire your sense of responsibility and caretaking. I bet your pie rocked! I have a terrible time making pie crusts.

Regarding the postage, you can slap on regular rate stamps. You aren't actually paying to send the letter overseas. Did you notice the APO on the address? That stands for Army Post Office. You mail it to the APO address which is located in NY, and then the army sends it overseas.

missbrightside said...

Aw, thanks for the well wishes for my mom. She says thank you!

Thank you for clearing up the whole postage thing. It was definitely the oddest address I had ever seen. haha. Now I know what it means.Yay!